Pages

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Initial Ideas

With the focus of this project being on finding ourselves as Experimental Practitioners, the area in which we're able to explore and express ourselves is quite a big one!

After our initial lectures and introduction to this module, I already had a few ideas evolving from these sessions (along with a few others I still had knocking around from the summer holidays which I thought of elaborating on) but overall there was one idea which kept on shining through from way beyond the summer and these lectures.
I remembered it first after viewing this Youtube video of experiments with Diet Coke and Mentos: and also after one lecture we had on "Time and Space" how we could experiment with it.

This video and the connection it had to the "Time and Space" lecture later on really got the ball rolling for me and helped me to realise that finally I could work on an idea I've had for years, which is to create a chain reaction of 'A' affecting 'B' to create music.

What I mean by this is that with the help of Marble Runs, Cogs, Motors and whatever else I can think of to help, I will create a machine I guess which will create music by certain objects affecting others, but with the use of the motors, this machine will be continuous in making music, instead of it just being a lucky one off run through.

I know this is going to be a massive project with a lot of room for error and problems, but I've wanted to do this idea for years now, (ever since I first looked at Wallace and Gromit's inventions in "The Wrong Trousers" when I was 10 and thought, that is so clever I want to try that too if I'm honest haha) and now I can finally do it with the help and support I need to make it a reality. :)

That's all for now but check back soon for the next part on the Carousel Workshops which helped us to figure out ways in which we can realise our ideas :)
Take care,
Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment