Pages

Friday 17 December 2010

Preparing for the Christmas Holidays and Vince the Stereotypical Pirate











Since the Christmas holidays are coming up, I've been busy this week preparing all the bits and bobs I'm going to need for making my animations, starting with Vince the Stereotypical Pirate.
As Decembeard is obviously in December I had the idea of an advent calendar being the way I would change from scene to scene. This would be done by a calendar having a door pop open as an animation and then in post-production the video for the next scene being there behind the door.
The tricky part though was deciding what would be on the front of the advent calendar, which is where Vince the Stereotypical Pirate stepped in.

Vince began life as the character who would explain the rules of Decembeard to the viewer in the opening scenes of my documentary, but from there evolved into the comedy relief and exhibitor of all the different things I'll need to show throughout my film, such as the different styles of beard in the Research animation, the Decembeard introducer and now the face for the calendar transitions.

In this blog you can see the actual calendar I've made and animated ready for when I'm home in Exeter for christmas. Since this documentary is being made in "real time" (i.e. as I go through December the footage has to show the correct amount of beard growth etc.) I needed to design, animate and edit these calendar transitions before I left for Christmas as I wouldn't have a chance to until afterwards.
Ironically it turned out when I did make them, I was only in the first one and so it wasn't as time based as I thought but still at least they're done and out of the way now.

You'll see in the animations at the end and the photos here that Vince's eyes move and he winks. I would upload the videos here but I'm going to only upload photos and narrations so that the final product is a surprise and you can see it for the first time properly.

Next up is the work I've done on Vince for the introduction animation.
To draw Vince after starting with only drawing his head was quite troublesome but eventually I ended on a style I liked and after chucking him into Photoshop he came to colourful life.
This final photo will be put back into photoshop as it's a PSD file at the moment and then I will be cutting out each body part and exporting it as a single file.
Then once his body is all exported I am going to drop him into After Effects where I will make the animation.
I've only used After Effects a few times but this is a good chance for me to get to know it so I'm quite excited to see what powers it holds for my future animation!

That's it for now so I will post again soon during the Christmas Holidays after I've finished with Vince so check back then.

Take care,
Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment