Pages

Sunday 2 January 2011

Carousel workshop Strand B: Experimental Sound

As I said in my previous post, we took part in workshops to help us formulate our ideas into actual possibilities, for example the first Carousel workshop I worked in was Carousel workshop strand A: The Image: Still/Moving.

However, due to large numbers wanting to work in the Carousel I originally chose, the Strand C Workshops on "Digital Cinematics" (where they got to work with the lovely new HD cameras the lucky sods!), I ended up instead taking part in my 3rd choice of workshops which was Carousel workshop Strand B on "Experimental Sound".

Looking back, working in this workshop "B" on sound instead of "C" was the best choice because I learnt a lot about sound and music I didn't have a clue about!
For example, over the summer I made all original music for my animation work because originally I had used copyrighted music, and to do this I used Garageband, the built in music software for Macs.
Now Garageband does the job really well when you're working with small animations as the loops can easily be changed and altered to become more unique, but when we looked into how sound and music works (and especially how to use Logic, Garageband's ridiculously professional older brother) the possibilities to create music and sound were just mind blowing!
I was quite happy plodding along fiddling with effects in Garageband, but the possibilities these workshops and Logic gave us were incredible!

When I look back at these workshops, this is where it became a no-brainer that I HAD to create my "Mechanical Instrument" to fully quench the thirst I had for making music with all this info I'd learnt.
I've always had an intense passion for music but while my original idea had stemmed from this love, these workshops, both strands "A" and "B", were what gave me a whole new world to work and play with.

After these workshops, the ball was really rolling as the ideas for how I could achieve my goals became more and more of a reality.
Working with Amy and Lyndon in a small group and also working with everyone for the bigger projects was really enjoyable and taught me a lot as well.
I noticed from these sessions that I have become more confident when working in big groups, which is great because I have always been quite shy yet wanted to be more assertive than I actually am.
Being assertive has always been a problem for me, most likely because I'm already quite short and so quite insecure over it at times, but now that I'm at University I feel much more confident with who I am and don't feel as insecure about being "vertically challenged". To have realised this positive, personal change I must say that these workshops were much more helpful than I thought! :)

Soon I'll upload the original notes I made before, during and after these workshops, but for now here's the work I made during the Strand "B" workshops as videos because I don't think I can upload them as MP3 files.
The first one is "Logic Tryout" from our third and final workshop. Here we used the clips of audio we'd recorded in workshops 1 and 2 to make music or just sound.
I know it's rubbish but I was trying out using the clips of Lyndon running down the stairs and tapping on the desk as drum parts, whilst Amy Rixon Squeaked and made popping sounds using her finger and mouth. Sadly I ran out of time and so never put them together or in time properly so my apologies for that. :)

Next is the "Hi-Five" exercise we did as a whole group using 5 microphone and speaker set ups in Scott 105.
In this exercise we learnt about spacial awareness in sound and so the whole group walked up and down the room at different times in front of the microphones and Hi-Fived whoever passed us, hence the clapping sound in different places and timings.
This was a great exercise and very helpful for understanding spacial awareness when it comes to making music and sound, although if you weren't sat in the centre of the room it was hard to hear exactly what was meant to be happening.

I think Amy has the rest of the work so when were back to University after the Christmas Break, I'll get it off her hopefully and put it up here soon, but for now here is the link to "Tango" by Zbigniew Rybczyński from my previous post, and the "Toshiba Time Sculpture" Tv Advert which was in a similar vain:

"Tango" by Zbigniew Rybczyński:
http://www.wat.tv/video/tango-zbigniew-rybczynski-2882h_2f1q3_.html

"Toshiba Time Sculpture" TV Advert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1etBYlrmtg

That's it for tonight as it's pretty late and I've rabbled on a lot. My apologies for that!

Check back soon for the original notes and possibly the extra work Amy has from the Strand "B" workshops.

Take care and Happy New Year,
Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment