Pages

Saturday 8 January 2011

The Extra Strand "B" Workshop Stuff

Here in this post is exactly what the title states, the extra Strand "B" workshop stuff I said I'd get off Amy, but instead happened to have myself hidden away on my Hard Drive :)
Also sorry for the delay in posts, it's been quite hectic what with trying to get my MEDI 262 work finished in time for the deadlines and getting my MEDI 236 documentary project going too! But It's here now so let's start off with the rest of my "Strand B" audio file stuff. :)

This first video is the track of Lyndon Running up the stairs in Scott and then back down to us.
If you listen from 0.24 you can hear the part I looped and used as a drum beat in my "Logic Tryout" track:



Next is our "Tapping Medley" Track where we used a mouse and a desk to make a rhythm out of tapping, which I used as the "Hi-Hat" part of my "Logic Tryout" piece:



This piece was a group exercise from the second session (the same one the "Hi-Fiving Exercise" came from) and was created by 5 of us, including myself and Amy, standing each in front of one of the microphones, but at different distances from them.
Then as Andy Warren pushed Liam Hogg amongst us whilst Liam sat in a trolley reading a newspaper (No I don't know why either...) we had to say "Happy Birth Day To You", each having a different word. Mine words were "You" and "Happy" as I was the last person who then had to repeat the cycle to go back again.
You can hear the spacial awareness in the piece as our voices and quieter and louder depending on how close we were to the microphone, which worked very effectively to help us learn about this spacial awareness in sound. Also We learnt about how even the length of cable from Microphone to Computer can alter the sound by there being either more or less static added to the sound from the cables!
It truly is incredible how much there is to learn about sound, even though it's an aspect of life most of us have been aware of since birth!

Happy Birthday To You:



Here is another Sound experiment we did where at different times Me and Amy Rixon had to ring our friend Jeff White.
This mini experiment into recording and working with sound and others pieces such as "Jumping in a Line Final" and "Me and Amy Dying", were all from another groups list of experiments.
Each group had to make a list of sound activities another other group had to do and they did the same. We then swapped lists and these mini experiments are our interpretations of those instructions. :)

Me and Amy Ringing Jeff:




Space Invaders was from our second workshop (the mini experiments like the one above coming from the first) and was a group project using the 5 microphone and speaker set up again.
This piece was great fun to make as we played out a game of "Space Invaders", the classic arcade game.
Everyone in the group was an invading alien (With Scott Nelson being the bonus alien making the "WooWoo" sound) and had to shuffle left to right whilst holding a piece of newspaper. I especially loved this piece because I played the turret and so when I shot people, they had to scrumple up their newspaper to make an explosion sound which worked very effectively.

Space Invaders:




Here we have "Popping Medley" and I've then added on at the end the short clip we had of Amy shouting "Squeak" as both were used in my "Logic Tryout Final":



Here is the last of our tasks from another groups list, involving me with the Marantz Microphone around my neck whilst Amy stood behind me and Lyndon in front. We then had to jump down a corridor shouting our names aloud, and yes it was as hilarious as it sounds.
The second part of the file you hear is us jumping around randomly shouting our names, the second part of the task.

Jumping in a Line Final:



And finally here is a clip of me and Amy pretending to die for Nathan and Scott's group. I've also added Amy singing "Hey ya!" by Outkast on the end which you can hear on my "Logic Tryout" track.
Me and Amy Dying and Amy "Hey Ya!" On Her Own:



Working in these sound lectures was surprisingly challenging in a fun way, as you can probably tell and helps you to realise just how much there is to learn about sound and creating certain effects.

However, now that those workshops are over and the files uploaded, it's time for me to show you what I have learnt and produced so far with this knowledge.
All this work leads up to my final piece (obviously! haha) but for this next section, the focus was mainly on the presentation we had to give to put across our idea and explain what stage of development we were at and how we would proceed.
These presentations were then presented to the group we were in for our first Carousel Workshop, which for me was Strand A.
I think I've put enough in this post for today as don't want to bore you completely haha so check back soon for the original notes and designs I keep promising and my presentation work and how it went. :)
Take care,
Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment